Saturday, January 20, 2018

Apple's Tim Cook Joins the Chorus: "'I don't want my nephew on a social network'"

It's becoming a movement!

"Il faut bien que je les suive, puisque je suis leur chef"
-Ledru-Rollin, 1848*
From The Guardian:

Apple chief talks about tax affairs and overuse of tech at launch of school coding initiative
The head of Apple, Tim Cook, believes there should be limits to the use of technology in schools and says he does not want his nephew to use a social network.

Cook was talking at Harlow college in Essex, one of 70 institutions across Europe that will use Apple’s Everyone Can Code curriculum, it was announced on Friday.

“I don’t believe in overuse [of technology]. I’m not a person that says we’ve achieved success if you’re using it all the time,” he said. “I don’t subscribe to that at all.”

Even in computer-aided courses, such as graphic design, technology should not dominate, he said.
“There are are still concepts that you want to talk about and understand. In a course on literature, do I think you should use technology a lot? Probably not.”

The 57-year old chief executive, who took the reins at Apple after the death of Steve Jobs in 2011, said the company cared deeply about children outside the classroom.

“I don’t have a kid, but I have a nephew that I put some boundaries on. There are some things that I won’t allow; I don’t want them on a social network.”...MORE
*Schoolboy French translation: "I must follow them for I am their leader." 

Previously:

"CalSTRS Releases Statement on Letter to Apple"
I'm starting to think everyone involved is trying to get in front of a train that had been gathering momentum....
UPDATED—"Investors Push Apple to Develop Tools to Respond to Smartphone Addiction in Youth" (AAPL)
Counterpoint: "No, Apple Is Not Responsible For Your Kids' Smartphone Addiction"
Apple's Response To iPhone Addiction Concerns (AAPL)